Uren Food Group History
The Uren Company was founded in 1895 by Mr Harold Uren in
Liverpool. Having over 100 years experience in the Food Industry, being involved in the import/export of foodstuffs since the turn of the century, now Uren is one of the most important trading companies for frozen fruits in the UK. The experience gained through years of farming soft fruits in Scotland, is today applied in our production of frozen fruits in Poland and Chile.
Our subsidiary offices have a full compliment of technical and administrative support staff to ensure quality compliance and shipment throughout the world.
- 1885 - Harold Uren founded the company in Liverpool. Sales were mainly smoked bacon to local shops.
- 1900 - Harold Uren Jnr joined the company, sales and activities increased.
- 1914 - Harold was a soldier in the first world war but his father continued to run the business.
- 1921 - The big depression during which time much money was lost. Harold came back from war and managed to keep the business running after his father's death.
- 1933 - Harold's children joined the company and business started to grow and regain its previous good levels.
- 1939 - The children were enlisted for the second world war, so the business was put on hold.
- 1945 - Uren started up again in the same activites as previously.
- 1950s - Uren started to diversify by selling Christmas hampers containing many different food stuffs. A subsidiary was set up which manufactured these products - the venture was a great success.
- 1963 - The subsidiary was sold to the Dutch company "Geest Industries" while the core business for bacon continued to rise.
- 1970 - Uren diversified by purchasing fresh fruit from Scottish farmers. The fruit was washed, frozen and packaged before selling on. This activity very quickly became so successful that the traditional bacon sector fell into abeyance.
- 1984 - Uren started sourcing fruit in Poland.
- 1985 - Uren started sourcing from in Serbia.
- 1995 - Uren Coldstore was purchased in Laszczow, Poland.
- 2006 - Uren aquired a frozen fruit produiction factory in Linares, Chile (now Berries Chile).
- 2007 - Large investment into Uren Coldstores to install a new flow freezer and coldstore chamber, capacity now at 4,000 MT. The coldstore now employes more than 300 people from the Laszczow area.
- 2009 - An office was opened in the US, Uren North America.